Sunday, February 6, 2011

what's meant to happen will happen...

I feel that I should probably begin with an apology at my horrible blogging habits; especially within these last chaotic months. I flew back to the Wisconsin cold and snow for three weeks. The flights home ended up being much longer and more stressful than necessary on account of European weather, but I finally made it and it was great to be home. I was able to catch up with a lot of people and surround myself with family and friends the entire stay, doing my best to fill them all in to my new life in India.
With the temperatures in the hills quickly plummeting, I decided to venture around the south of India for the remainder of my winter vacation, meeting up in various locations with friends from Woodstock. The journey began in Bangalore, where I was able to meet up with Noel and experience the metropolis hub of India (think IT company after IT company…odds are, when you call customer service, you’re calling Bangalore). The days here were mainly spent sightseeing, drinking sugar cane juice, and recovering from jetlag.
The theme or catchphrase of the journey was what’s meant to happen will happen, I usually would show up at the city bus station and try to find a bus heading west for less than 100 rupee, other times I would open the lonely planet to a random city and head that way, or just walk with my pack and hope someone would stop and offer a place to stay. and oh my, did that theory land me with thousands of adventures and plenty of quality stories. Noel and I were pretty eager to leave Bangalore and decided to head towards Pondicherry, a heavily French influenced town located right on the Bay of Bengal.

Pondicherry was much unlike anything I had seen in India, it had the obvious French influences, cobblestone streets, pastel painted townhouses, excellent food and beer, but also had those qualities that make India, India. The honking horns, the masala smells, holy cows, lots of trash, ashrams galore, a ‘canal’ that more so resembled a sewage system and well, the list goes on and on.


No comments:

Post a Comment