Monday, February 27, 2012

influx of faces.

Arrival in Kathmandu was as hectic as I could imagine, being pushed through customs and nominated to obtain the privilege of skipping the security check (I must have looked quite innocent), I exited in the airport in quite a state, and with no set plans on where to go.
Thankfully everything worked out splendidly; I stayed at the guest house of a student's and met up with Forest the next night with no glitches (which of course, made me quite nervous).

Those first few days especially, I found myself constantly amazed by the people; everyone had a smile on their face and was willing to share their story, if you were willing to listen. They also are absolutely beautiful and captivating- going back to my photos, I find that majority are of the locals. I have been in a bit of a writing funk lately, so rather then stumbling about with words, I am just going to post pictures, hoping the faces adequately sum up the rejuvenating and reposeful feelings that arriving in Nepal brought about.
We spent a few nights in the chaos of Thamel in Kathmandu, then took an early morning bus across country to Pokhara, where we spent our first day arranging all of the logistical bits of our trek. We left Kathmandu on Friday the 13, and so naturally something bad was bound to happen. About two hours into our journey, the trusty Rainbow Tours bus found itself in the middle of nowhere with a flat tire, delaying us about 2 hours. We still made it to Pokhara relatively unharmed and were able to crash early, waking up to see the sunrise over the Annapurna Region from the Peace Pagoda.

No comments:

Post a Comment