Monday, September 27, 2010

spotless


Two days of sun. 48 incredible hours. Everyone is asking the same question; is monsoon really over? I’m afraid I cannot answer that, however, Mother Nature is definitely showing signs pointing in that direction, brown ferns are everywhere, red berries are beginning to sprout on plants and the train tracks are re-opening. With the feeling of approaching spring, I have found myself incredibly optimistic, throwing all seasonal depression to the wind, feeling revived and renewed, ready to dry out and start again.

I have no idea where the past two and a half months have gone; quarter break begins this Friday meaning students have the chance to go home if they live close, attend the common wealth games in Delhi, go rafting in Rishikesh, paragliding in Dharamsala, hiking throughout Uttarakhand or just bum around the dorms and relax. Lauren, Noel and I are fleeing to Haridwar the moment school lets out and journeying to Jaipur via the overnight sleeper (it is very probable that it is the train ride I am most looking forward to). It is nice to have a change of pace in the future soon, although with the recent sun it seems as if Mussoorie is a completely different place, I can finally get out and explore these hills I have been living in.


Sunday Lauren and I took a hike up Witches Hill, a fairly easy half a day hike away. On our way we ran into a group of village kids playing a very organized game of cricket, in fact, they were pretty upset we interrupted their game. Despite the extreme communication barrier, we were able to learn a bit about the game of cricket and make some new friends.





Turns out, these kids definitely knew the English word ‘monkey’ after saying ‘you guys are like monkeys’ ten of them jumped onto the same branch above concrete bleachers. I was almost the cause of numerous deaths and injuries.


We also passed through the local dhobi ghat, where clothes and sheets were found around every corner, soaking up as much sun as they possibly could get. Dhobis are the laundry men here. They come around, door to door, collecting dirty laundry which they bring to their village, wash, beat against a rock, air dry and then return to you, if one or two buttons are missing it is considered a risk you knew you were going to take. Often times, it is unknown when the clothes will be returning. In fact, Lauren hears almost everyday, ‘Ms. Terry, I don’t have my P.E. clothes, they are at the dhobis’. I opt for a more personal laundry habit, a traditional bucket, a bag of detergent, a toilet brush I use to stir the clothes with and a drying rack. I have to admit I did laundry one whopping time during monsoon. It would literally take two weeks for clothes to dry, , and that is if you left a light on constantly to help dry out the air and regardless, it dries smelling like straight up mold. Not even worth my time/patience. Besides, we all know just how hygienic and clean I am….



Speaking of laundry..Lauren and I were invited over to the Paseventos last night, they fed us homemade chicken soup and ice cream AND let us use their laundry machine (keep in mind that one cycle takes about an hour and a half). It was absolutely perfect. I didn’t realize how much I missed the dynamics and the comfort of being around a family; the evening was just what I needed.

School is busy as ever, the activities only seem to keep piling up, far too many to document or discuss, but here are a few

Mr. Chelvam using his body as a mile marker in the interhouse cross country meet- check out that rain gear…I was jealous.


Students celebrating Hindi Day




Off duty coolies




No comments:

Post a Comment