Sunday, November 6, 2011

mishmash/monster mash



The last few weeks have been quite quiet, the cold has officially set in and we have managed to light the bukhari three times...only 6 days into November.and we have been told we cannot use space heaters due to electrical shortages.. looks like it is going to be one long winter.
Looking around at my fellow staff members last Wednesday during our weekly staff meeting, I had a bit of an epiphany: we all look like complete hobos. Take your average sized male, then add three under-layers, a 'professional' looking wool shirt with a cardigan over the top, and then an extremely over sized sweater over that, a scarf, mittens, and judging by how large the legs look, at least 2 pairs of pants.
After some contemplation and discussion, Nan and I had a brilliant stroke of genius which put into action the hobo campaign of Winter 2011/12.
Our primary thought process is that if we dress like hobos for long enough, in ridiculous amounts and layers of clothing that perhaps they will either take pity on us or be embarrassed by the general lack of professionalism in their staff and thus reconsider the heating supplies for the staff members. As the days become progressively colder, I am going to carry my camera around, inconspicuously taking pictures of staff members who are not aware of this campaign but look like hobos nonetheless.  This will hopefully appear on the blog sometime in the next few weeks. Here are a few to tide you over.
We did get these 'beautiful' blankets as a peace offering...
Himalayan Weavers- the best scarfs and shawls in the area. A definite must for the hobo campaign.
A few weekends ago, I had another one of the incidents that leaves me with the irreversible feeling that i am living a pretty warped life. I received my yearly dose of concerts.. in a matter of hours.
Hearing of people back home who have the ability and means to attend good live music always makes me quite jealous; the music scene in India, at least along the lines of concerts and well known bands, is almost non existent, but we made sure to make up for it.  A local Woodstock alum, who is also a celebrity in India, had us over to celebrate the engagement of a fellow staff member. This party was unlike anything I have ever attended..ever.
Once the party officially got underway, it turned into a full out music festival: 7 concerts in 1 night.
Sadly i have no pictures to document the occasion, I was far too absorbed in the beats, the mental image is left up to you. ..
A tv that was at least five feet by seven feet, projecting concerts in full surround sound (I dont even remember the last time I saw a TV, so this in itself is a big deal), a ridiculously large house with a full staff, enough food to feed the mountain side, rock stars like The Eagles, Stevie Wonder, Rhianna, Santana, and U2..
and we were there (at least it felt like) right the front row.
At one moment I looked around and had a brief glimpse at how ridiculous we all looked, before falling back into the imaginary land of full blown concerts. Adults dancing, screaming, whopping, and whistling, requesting songs as if they would be taken into consideration and even a few incidents in which Noel violently threw herself at the tv, hoping to be pulled up on stage. The only things missing were cell phones and glow sticks. Maybe next time.

"Babies use the backdoor"
Woodstock recently had the 100th  reunion for the alumni association, and in honor there was a mela, or festival, full of local vendors and too many treats. Nothing too eventful occurred, numerous pies tossed into faces, sponges tossed like grenades and students spending their parent's pocket money on unnecessary items, primarily food related. But it did turn out to be a great photo opportunity.





Ennis!
Himalayan Weavers
whoever would have thought that pillows would be a best seller?




This is how creative my ninth graders are...of course, they weren't even real hot dogs, and most of the kids have no clue what a hot dog is...- they were chicken 'frankies'

Halloween is not a big deal in India at all. This is a bit sad considering it is one of my favorite holidays, and when I come to school dressed as a witch, students think I am just being a bit odd, and might be back on what they refer to as my 'crazy meds' (the medicine I took during my bouts with giardia when I hallucinated for days on end).
To at least attempt a Halloween celebration I invited my advisee group over for a night of tricks, treats, and a healthy dose of Hocus Pocus. I refused to let them in the door if they did not dress up, and while many of them did not exert their full effort on costumes, they did dress up a little.
We also had a Rocky Horror Picture Show viewing this weekend, it was the first time that a group of adults watched the entire movie in a sitting without crude shout outs and dancing, but it was quite entertaining to say the least.

 
..And that is my life the past few weeks in a mishmash of tales.. as for other updates, my sisters have booked their tickets to India for Christmas, I have been reading record amounts of books, my students are still asking ridiculous questions about the land of the free, and yes, my scarf is still stuck in the tree (I am still open for suggestions for removal).

3 comments:

  1. Fun to read, Emily. I was struck by the bright colors of the scarves and pillows. Reminded me of the markets in Africa. I can almost smell it! Keep blogging and keep up the good work. We're ready for you to be home in the States, but you're doing great things!

    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love you - just thought you should know:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. love the eye liner, who got engaged???

    ReplyDelete